Tuesday 26 March 2013

Thanks – Bike Shed Wales!


At the end of 2012 I was resigned to continuing my triathlons on my 8 year old entry level road bike. Upgraded with some reasonable wheels but still pretty basic and I guess, slow. I wasn’t prepared to upgrade to a decent Tri bike as I couldn’t justify that cost. I also didn’t see the point of getting a new, but cheaper bike. However all that changed. The bike got nicked. That, combined with an unexpected windfall meant that I had the perfect opportunity to get that good bike. I have to say I’m not really into bikes, bike maintenance and upkeep (or cleaning actually). Whether it’s the mountain bike or tri bike I just tend to take it to a local bike shop for a good service at the start of the season and that’s about it. So I had no pre conceptions of what bike I wanted or, in fact, what was out there. I scoured the internet for a tri specific suitable bike. The first thing I realised was that as I am over 6 foot that I needed an XL frame, and that most manufactures don’t make standard XL tri bikes so I was a bit limited for choice unless I wanted to put together my own bike (no I didn’t).

Then I went to the Trek site and found the perfect bike for me. The Trek Speed Concept 7.8, (XL frame). It did want I wanted, in my price range and..... it looked fantastic!  Right, that was it. How could I get hold of one before Xmas. There was one issue though.  The wheels that came with the package were Bontrager clinchers. I’d already realised from last year’s upgrade of wheels how important (and faster) top quality wheels are, so I’d decided I would upgrade to tubs. Bontrager Aeolus 9 to be exact. I didn’t think that would be a problem as I would be spending quite a bit more on the whole package.  I couldn’t do it directly through the Trek website but there were a few dealers listed in Cardiff so I went visiting. First stop, the big national chain. Not at a chance. They would sell me the Concept 7.8 package with clinchers AND the tubs extra, but not exchange them. This is not what I wanted to hear. I then tried another dealer. I have to say they didn’t seem to be interested in selling me anything let alone the change of tyres!  Finally, without high expectations I popped into The Bike Shed Wales on Cathedral Road in Pontcanna. Met JP there and explained what I wanted (I had all the printouts from the internet of the bike & wheels). He went and got John, one of the owners and.... not a problem. They would do the wheel exchange and substitute the tubs for the clinchers at the list price. Great!  I duly paid a deposit and about a week later....

 
Here is JP with the Trek bike with Bontrager tubs

I think there was a bit of a campaign recently about supporting your local bike shop. I for one now fully believe in that. I happen to mention to JP and John the reason for the new bike (the quest for AG Euro & World’s triathlon qualification) and they offered to support me in a number of ways. So The Bike Shed Wales www.bikeshedwales.com became one of my sponsors!
 
 
Bike Shed Wales Colours (Not seen daylight yet due to this stupid winter weather)
 
So I’m recommending The Bike Shop Wales for all your cycling needs. But, as it turns out, it’s not just me. Here is a screen dump photo of from a facebook page of my Tri club. They are talking about fixies. Pete Beaumont is a club coach, top triathlete and knows a bit about bikes so this is high recommendation. Pete allowed me to post his comments. And yes, for the observant - I do get up at 5am!

No comments:

Post a Comment