Wednesday 6 March 2013

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"


“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”   ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I’ve come to realise that if I’m going to be successful in my goal(s) then 90% of getting there is in the planning.  Probably more accurate would be juggling priorities. I still have the tri champs’, swim champs’ and London marathon goals but the logistics around each are difficult enough let alone doing any sort of training for them.
I’m just about set for the European AG Tri champs in Turkey in June. Luckily the family decided to make it our holiday. So we’ve rented a very nice, but low cost villa on a beach, through AirB&B near Alanya for a couple of weeks either side of the competition. We also got cheap flights with Easyjet, I guess because we are arriving a bit earlier and leaving a bit later than most. Even the in-Laws are coming from Germany. They are going to do their normal trick of cycling around the country for a few weeks before we get there. I’ve even paid the event registration to British Triathlon.

Doing all this made me think more of the planning for the AG World Champs in Hyde Park in September. This is particularly hard as I have no idea if I’ll even qualify. It looks like every aspiring age grouper wants to qualify, seeing how the qualifying races sold out so quickly, so it’s going to be tough. And then the main qualifier for the Olympic distance, the Liverpool Tri, hasn’t even opened for entries yet. Anyway, I happened to see that the official travel agents (Nirvana) were already selling accommodation packages for the event in London. Apart from the “Athletes’ Village” (read student accommodation at Imperial College) they had a few apartments actually on Hyde Park. They looked great (for the family) and quite reasonably priced so I swallowed hard, jumped in and booked them for the 3 nights Thurs thru Sunday.

The apartment looks ok on the website??
 
So we are going whether I qualify or not!  Sprint or Olympic, who knows?  If I don’t qualify it’s probably a waste of money and a bit of an inconvenience but then I saw the organisers had arranged a ballot for an “open to all” AG race on the Saturday (nothing to do with the AG world champs’). At first I wasn’t interested until I saw that they were offering a full refund (less £15 admin of course) if a successful ballotter then did qualify for the world champs. So as “insurance” I’ve now also entered the ballot for the open sprint race with the hope that, if successful, I won’t have to do it!  Planning Planning Planning!
In the pool, on the road and in the gym things seem to be going ok. I’ve had a few days off for the normal flu that everybody seemed to get but it wasn’t so bad for me. I’m about half way through my base training phase.  I did a half marathon at the weekend and surprised myself by taking just under 7 minutes off my PB.  I was happy with that. This weekend is a change of sport and another focus – the Welsh Masters long course swimming championships in Swansea. And I’m going long! 400’s, 800’s and, for some reason, the 400 Individual Medley. Oh well - cross training at its best.

1 comment:

  1. I did get a place in the ballot entry for the open AG tri event in London

    ReplyDelete