Friday 25 January 2013

Winter Training in the Sun


I could say I decided to escape the snow and winter blues in South Wales by heading for the sun in Morocco to continue my training unhindered. However this trip had been planned since early last year and even the flight tickets bought about 6 months ago (and very cheaply at that). The fact that I travelled to, and then flew out of Gatwick hours before the snow and gridlock hit was just luck. The family had already been here a couple of weeks so I was hoping that I would have a bit of time for some focused quality training before I left the UK.  That didn’t happen as work and some house renovations got in the way. Anyway I’m here now. Although I can’t really swim or cycle, I have been able to run a bit. Again by chance, the cheap flights were via Marrakesh and I’ve found out that the Marrakesh half and marathon are next Sunday, the day before we fly back. So, if I can avoid drinking too much on the Saturday night I’ll be incorporating a half marathon into my schedule. I did it before in 2005 and they're pretty casual about things – you can sign up the day before.

I’ve spent quite a bit a time over the years in Morocco as my wife grew up here and, in fact, we got married here in 2000.  St Andrew’s church in the medina in old Tangier. It was quite an affair. The celebrations lasted a week and included camel treks, belly dancers, ethnic Gnawa musicians and dancers. Michael Palin came through a month after the wedding on his Sahara trip and quoted a quote describing St Andrew’s church as the most beautiful church in Christendom.

 
It was supposed to be the Humphrey Bogart look out of “Casablanca”  - FAIL


 

This trip we’re spending mostly with family in Rabat. There’s a great place to run on a road next to one of the Royal Palaces. Despite it being mostly dual carriageway it’s very quiet with little traffic. I guess most Moroccans avoid it because of the obvious heavy presence of police and military. But it’s really cool, with a golf course and riding centre on the other side and orange trees lining the central strip.
 
 
I’ve been getting out at lunchtime for a run. It’s not been that easy as I’ve actually been doing a bit of work and then there’s the constant pressure of lots of “family time” whilst we are here. These runs have given me a bit of time to get up to speed with my self-given xmas present – the Garmin Forerunner 910XT. I’m still miles off using it properly but it certainly is already helping. An analysis last year suggested my run cadence was too low at about 80 – 84 fps. I’ve been trying to up it by just concentrating on landing on my mid-foot (I was a heal striker and very heavy over pronator) but I had no idea if I was improving. Now with the Garmin and trying a few different sessions I know I’m where I want to be at a fairly constant 88 – 90 fps. But I still have to concentrate on it all the time or it starts to drop.
Anyway it's now on the "Marrakech Express" for the half marathon. Weather forcast looks good at sunny with a top of 19C for Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment